Sunday, August 1, 2010

What a wonderful weekend!

We had such a great weekend. If you didn't know, we went to a benefit dinner held by our adoption agency, All God's Children International. This dinner was a way for AGCI to raise money to help more people in the countries in which they work. They also let us in on ways that we can do more to help the hurting people out there. The more I learn about these things, the more I come to understand that here in America we live in a bubble. We have everything we could ever need and more. All it takes is just a small sacrifice on our part, I mean a really small sacrifice, to make a big difference in someone else's life. None of us could ever imagine what it would be like to not have clean water, not have 3 (or in my case more) meals a day, or to only have a few things to wear. Most of us have full cupboards, overflowing closets, and about 4 faucets that spout clean water whenever we want it. What if that wasn't there? What would you do? There are so many ways out there that we can make a difference! Imagine what would happen if we all did just that little something!! What would happened if you didn't spend that extra money at Wal-Mart on that thing you didn't really need? Instead, you gave that money to a good cause or bought a fair trade item?

OK, off my soapbox now. But, please, think about it!!

On Saturday we went to the AGCI family picnic, and it was lots of fun. It was so great to be able to talk with people who really understand. I could say, "we are so happy our home study is done" or "we are almost done with our dossier" and they knew exactly what I was talking about and totally understand our feelings of relief. Don't get me wrong...I love that our family and friends care and ask questions but no one really understands if they haven't been through it.

The picnic and dinner really motivated us to get home and finish our dossier. Just 3 forms left! Then we start the county and state certifications. Ugh! Hopefully that won't take too long or be too much trouble.

Sometimes the waiting is so hard. I want her here so badly that I sometimes think I might explode from the wanting. We are trying to keep on top of the paperwork, get her room ready, and get the house ready. I'm even cross-stitching a picture for her room. It does help to keep busy, but then sometimes that wanting just creeps up on you and grabs you. *sigh* Some days I don't think I can wait any longer. I guess God is teaching me patience.

I've never asked for this but here goes...Please pray that I'll have patience.

4 comments:

  1. You? Patience?! Well, all things ARE possible through Him... haha! Glad you enjoyed the picnic! Hopefully you met lots of new friends and maybe baby girl will have a friend or two to have play dates with! :) I agree with you 100000% about living in a bubble...I am forever thinking of those around me (and far away) that have nothing. Anytime we waste water or anything, it makes me feel so bad. Keep raising that awareness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did say pray that "WE" have patience but Paul made me take it out. lol He said he could learn patience on his own. Good luck with that.

    I've always had this big mouth, maybe now it can be put to use talking about these sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen~
    I'm Andi Harper and we met while standing in line for lunch at the AGCI picnic on Saturday. I just checked the Yahoo group to see if I could find you and found this link to your blog! It was good to meet you and I'm sorry we never had a chance to talk any more after lunch! I'm glad to find your blog and look forward to keeping up with your journey! Good luck getting those last few papers ready for your dossier! I hope we can visit with you and Paul again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad you found me!! I should have gotten information from more people than I did. It was so nice meeting you guys and I really hope we can stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete