Saturday, October 2, 2010

Want to hear something funny?

So let me give you some background. My husband, Paul, is 6'6 and two hundred and some odd pounds. (He's probably going to kill me for this post already. No need to tell you exactly how much he weighs.) This man is outgoing, opinionated, and stubborn. When he makes up his mind about something it usually stays made up unless there is hard proof that he should change his mind. Now don't get me wrong, he is a wonderful man and husband but we all know how are husbands can be sometimes. So, this husband of mine is an only child. This is something to keep in mind when I get to the funny part. OK, so let's fast forward a little.

When we were talking about having kids, I always said I wanted at least two. Paul, though, said one was enough. He liked being an only child and he said there was nothing wrong with it. Now, all throughout our marriage I have wanted to adopt and would randomly bring this up. I finally got him to say adoption would be fine after we had one of our own. There we are...two kids now. Let's fast forward just a little more now.

So, we found out it would be really hard, if not impossible, to have kids on our own. We start to adopt. Since almost the beginning of the process, we decided that we would be adopting two. I guess since the one of our own wasn't coming we could adopt two and still be sticking to the plan. Fast forward a touch more.

Just a few days ago I was talking about what we would do once we had bought into the Disney vacation club. Paul said, "we aren't ever going to buy into the Disney vacation club." What? That was the plan. Adopt two kids and then the next year (every how many years that is from now) and then buy into the Disney vacation club. He said, "if you see we have money from tax refunds or whatever, you are going to want to go back for another child."
"But we are only adopting two, right?" All I got after this statement was a sideways glance and a sheepish smile. I let this drop. It wasn't a good time to have a deep discussion. Deep down I chuckled and was very curious. Now fast forward just a little more.

So, once we were at home a couple of days later, I asked him about what he had said. "What are you thinking about? We always said we were going for two kids. How many are you thinking about now?"

Here is the funny part...."Oh, I don't know...four maybe." FOUR?!?!? Four? I just laughed. This from the man that started out at one. One was enough. LOL I guess this adoption process has changed his mind. Well I have to say this was a shocker to me. All I could say later was "If we are adopting four, we'll need to start fundraising and we are going to need a bigger house." Oh my! How God can change our minds.

Paul is probably going to kill me for this post. I just let out the secret that deep down he is just a big softie. I have more examples of him being a softie but I can't write a book on here. I can tell you this though, Clarissa will have him wrapped around her little finger before we ever get home from Rwanda. :-)

I love my husband!!!

3 comments:

  1. So awesome! I loved watching how God moved on David's heart all throughout our process. Now, I am working on him to adopt again. He says I'm crazy, but I can see that gleam in his eyes. :)

    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I had a similar experience, it took me forever to convince him to go for one adoption and then he piped in and said, how bout we just go for 2 while we're at it! You know it's the Holy Spirit when words come out of your husband's mouth that can't possibly be his! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course, don't forget the sibling group he's going to want. :) I specifically remember him saying something about never stopping the process. Help one little one, then start the process for another...help that little one (or two or three), wash, rinse, repeat. :) This man is going to have kids at home until he's 70. HAHA. Making a difference in not only their lives, but YOURS as well. I've always thought that while you originally plan on saving a child, the child is really saving YOU. Love you two.

    ReplyDelete