Sunday, October 31, 2010

Looking for mad mom skillz? Inquire elsewhere....

Mad mom skillz? I have none. Let me tell you how I found this out....

This Saturday, we were lucky enough to be able to participate in the Ordinary Hero Halloween Outreach 2010. Each child was paired with a volunteer, and was able to enjoy this wonderful fall festival at a church in Nashville. More about that in a bit. Right now, let's talk about how I'm in charge of making sure one gorgeous two year old little boy has fun.

First thing, he wants to get something to eat. So after asking what he wants, he tells me he wants pizza and juice. Wonderful...easy peasy. The pizza stand also has juice. Woot! Shortly after we order pizza, we had this conversation.

Me: What kind of juice do you want? (points out the juice)

Boy: Juice!

Me: Do you want grape juice, orange juice, or fruit punch?

Boy: Juice!!

Me: (trying to take a new angle) Do you want purple, orange, or red?

Boy: Juice!!!

Me: We'll take the fruit punch please.

Paul was so kind to point out later that I picked the only one of the three that was NOT juice!

Later, after eating, we are going to check out the very cool inflatable slides and jumping things. We get there and once he sees how big they are he decides he doesn't want to go up. I'm now trying to get his shoes back on. (You have to take your shoes off to do the inflatable thingies.)

Me: Ok, buddy, let me put your shoes back on. (I then proceed to lift his leg and just as swiftly...I knock him over. Flat on his back. Who knew toddlers would topple so fast?)

Then we went inside to find balloons. So while holding a coat, juice that is not juice, candy, and nachos, I try to tie a balloon to his arm. It took me three tries!! The first two attempts floated straight to the ceiling as soon as I let go.

Now...we have balloons...what next? He was a little too nervous to do the slides outside, so we did the games inside the church. He seemed to really enjoy these. As we are wondering around, we find a puppet show. What a great idea!! We could sit (I rest) and enjoy a puppet show. Now up to this point, all this little boy has said to me, is juice, yes, no, balloon, or candy. We go in to the puppet show and this is what follows...

Me: Ooh a puppet show! Where do you want to sit?

Boy: (looks around) I don't want to sit down!!

Wow, I guess the puppet show was not as good an idea as I thought.

At the end of the day, I find Paul and we team up. More snacks for the kids then to the swings. It takes Paul at least 5 minutes to get the balloons untied from my little boys arm so he can swing. In the meantime, I'm pushing his little girl. Finally, I say, "Are you ready to get off? Wanna go to the slides?" She says yes. What do I do? I stop pushing so she will slow down. After about 2 swings, she jumps! The swing comes back empty! Oh my!! She was fine, though.

I'm glad my home study is done and no one was judging me on yesterday! LOL So...I may need to work on my mad mom skillz before Clarissa gets home.

But seriously, yesterday was a wonderful day. God has been working on Paul and me so much lately. We want to do more. We want to give more. This was a great opportunity to help with this wonderful outreach, and to learn more about how to make outreaches like that happen here. Stay tuned because you are going to see more of Ordinary Hero!! We are praying, thinking, and planning. If you are a friend, family, or church member, be prepared. We are going to need help giving and serving. They'll be lots of opportunity heading your way.

I heard a song that says exactly what I'm feeling...

I don't wanna live like I don't care
I don't wanna say another empty prayer
No, I refuse to
Sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
Oh, I could choose not to move but I refuse!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like mad skills to me:) It sounds about right for any mom. I love the lyrics to the song and I love Ordinary Hero. They are awesome! We working on figuring out how to do those things here since we don't live near Ordinary Hero. Love your heart for others! Looking forward to continuing to read about your journey both to Clarrisa and to give of yourselves. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD work Mama!!! I'm proud of you! The little guy probably had the best day EVER!!! And you'll get the hang of it....practice makes PERFECT in their eyes. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was SO nice to meet you yesterday! Wish we could have chatted longer.

    Keep me updated on the call :) I am following your blog now and will add you to my adoption blogs listed at my site.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete